Mount Holly, NC 28120 US
HKA Enterprises is unable to support C2C. 3rd party submissions and C2C requests will not be considered for any positions.
Personal vehicle will be driven, mileage reimbursed
The Automation Engineer manages work in engineering areas of specialization, with minimal supervision. The Automation Engineer is expected to develop advanced skills and to have the ability to work independently, with guidance limited to unusual or complex projects or issues. Employees in the Automation Engineer position are fully competent in the use of concepts and procedures. The Automation Engineer identifies problems, develops solutions, and takes action to resolve. The incumbent will act as a System Automation and Integration Matter Expert (SME) for the application and deployment of automation and control applications for distributed energy resources and the distribution system within the Distributed Energy Group.
• Application of automation & control standard settings, logic, and control templates
• Application and integration of standardized components, automation controls, and communications devices into standardized systems to support localized and advanced grid automation concepts
• Support application and commissioning for advanced automation (device to SCADA and peer to peer), voltage control (regulator, capacitor, power electronics), and line sensor integration
• Support OT Security and Firmware management efforts with OT Security, CD OAS, and CD Program Governance
• Support field commissioning, testing, and maintenance of automation systems on Customer Delivery, such as Underground Switching, Auto Throw Over, Self-Healing/Fault Isolation System Restoration, DER Integration, Microgrid, and Voltage Control Systems
• SME input into training and work method related documentation and training artifacts
• Support regional and major project deployment, including factory and field acceptance testing of new and existing concepts, working with switchgear, smart components, communications, and other control components with internal Subject Matter Experts from other related support groups.
• Application and integration of various sensing, control, and communications capabilities into technical standard solution systems
• Close working cooperation with peer teams, including Subject Matter Experts teams of CD Operational and Automation Standards, CD Equipment and Construction Standards, and other stakeholders within CD Asset Management
• Mentorship and peer leadership with fellow engineers
• Collaborate to actively provide technical guidance for all deployments.
• Provide leadership for Technical Leads.
• Provides engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems of increasing scope and complexity in both inside as well as outside the scope of typical responsibility.
• Ensures accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling, and monitoring of work activities; decisions may affect the operations or results of the work group and may have some impact on major projects or department results.
• Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations, and sketches related to defined problems and analysis of increasing scope and complexity.
• Conducts engineering and related studies; completes non-routine engineering projects with minimal oversight with the ability to independently manage project schedules and interfaces; competent to design, operate and maintain systems with moderate impact on existing systems.
• Possesses and applies the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures; proficient in technical and analytical competencies necessary to handle assignments of increasing complexity.
• Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files.
• Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally.
• Must have obtained Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited program or PE
• Minimum of 6 years of engineering experience or 5 years of engineering experience with state registration as a Professional Engineer.
• A master's degree in engineering will be considered in lieu of the B.S. Engineering degree.
• Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
• Experience in the utility industry
• Experience working in the Electric Utility power distribution systems.
• Incumbent should have the knowledge and ability to apply and integrate standardized automation and control concepts for medium voltage systems (4kV-36kV class)
• Familiarity/experience with advanced protocols, IEC 61850 GOOSE, DNP3.0, including programming and testing advanced automation and control systems with peer to peer communications
• Power electronics integration experience
• Volt Var control integration/development experience (voltage regulation and capacitor controls)
• Familiarity with communication control concepts, such as SCADA
• Applying templates, commissioning, and testing advanced automation and testing systems with peer to peer communications.
• Experience integrating and testing automation and control systems.
• Familiarity/experience with SEL automation controls and edge automation control devices (SEL-3505, SEL-3555, SEL RTAC) and associated configuration software
• Familiarity with SEL Quickset, Architect, and RTAC software suites
• Experience applying/programming/maintaining automation and control design templates
• Experience performing factory acceptance and field acceptance testing of systems
• Familiarity with related industry standards, such as IEEE 2030 series standards, IEEE 1547-2018, ANSI (Associated Electric Systems Interface), IEEEE 519 Harmonics; IEC 61850 Communication networks and systems for power utility automation.
• Distribution Automation Control Experience
• Distribution field engineering experience
• Experience with Integration of power plant, distributed resources, or major industrial / commercial / government customer load facilities
• Proficient in engineering theories and principles
• Proficient in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting recommendations,
• Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficient in principles of project management
• Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
• Experience in the utility industry
HKA Enterprises is a global workforce solutions firm. If you're seeking a new career opportunity or project experience, our recruiters will work to understand your qualifications, experience, and personal goals. At HKA, we recognize the importance of matching employee goals with those of the employer. We strive to seek credibility, satisfaction, and endorsement from all of our applicants. We invite you to take time and search for your next career experience with us! HKA is an EEO Employer who participates in the US Citizenship and Immigration Services E-Verify Program.
Meet Your Recruiter
April Shelton is a senior recruiter with more than 25 years in the industry. April specializes in nuclear, power, and energy engineering. Her advice to job seekers is "Always have an updated resume. Don’t reply to a job posting if you are not fully qualified. If you use a cell phone as your primary contact, make sure it is professional and doesn’t have a song playing or an unprofessional voicemail message."