Archaeological Field Technician
Tahoka, TX 79373
- The Archaeological Field Technician will perform a variety of tasks associated with archaeological fieldwork on CRM projects.
- The work will primarily consist of excavating a series of subsurface excavations (shovel tests) along linear transects.
- Archaeological sites identified during survey will be delineated and documented to support subsequent assessment of National Register evaluation needs.
- Tasks include field excavations (e.g. shovel testing, test unit excavation, shovel skimming), screening soils, recordation of field notes, the ability to use field equipment such as GPS units and digital cameras, and artifact processing.
- Physical demands of the position include manual labor (e.g. hand excavation with shovels and lifting buckets of dirt), prolonged walking over different terrains while carrying field equipment, and dealing with a variety of weather conditions.
- Will survey in remote locations and walk up to 10 miles per day over steep terrain, while carrying a pack weighing up to 45 pounds.
- Will complete survey and shovel test forms, be familiar with handheld GPS units, and be able to work in a variety of situations with a variety of people.
- BA or BS in Anthropology or related field.
- Must have at least two years of experience conducting field investigations of both pre-contact and post-contact archaeological resources.
- Experience with both reconnaissance survey (pedestrian survey and shovel testing) and archaeological sites evaluation excavations preferable.
- Must be familiar with the precontact material culture (artifacts and features) common to Eastern Texas.
- Must have a working knowledge of the standard equipment and field methods associated with CRM projects.
HKA Enterprises is a global workforce solutions firm. If you're seeking a new career opportunity or project experience, our recruiters will work to understand your qualifications, experience, and personal goals. At HKA, we recognize the importance of matching employee goals with those of the employer. We strive to seek credibility, satisfaction, and endorsement from all of our applicants. We invite you to take time and search for your next career experience with us! HKA is an EEO Employer who participates in the US Citizenship and Immigration Services E-Verify Program.