Lead E&C Estimator
San Diego, CA
The Engineering & Construction (E&C) Estimating Lead will be responsible for the generation and review of estimates to support bidding of military and other governmental projects for the Engineering & Construction (E&C) business line. Organizationally they will report directly to the Senior Director of Estimating for the company. This person ensures bid estimates are accurate as well as estimate quantities.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates an entire activity or the activities of other Estimators assigned to work on E&C estimates; Evaluates information and analyzes problems logically to develop solutions; Works with numbers accurately to review budgets, materials, and time schedules; Make decisions based on personal Judgment; Perform a variety of duties which may change often.
- Participates in Bid/No Bid decisions and prepares and obtain proposal budgets/authorities, Reviews cost estimates prior to submittal, Works with the Senior Estimating Director to assign estimators and obtain other resources as may be required, Trains Estimators as needed and assists in their career development, whenever necessary.
- Conducts site walks with clients to evaluate bid/no bid decisions and determines the scope of potential jobs. Conducts pre-estimate meetings with project managers and business line management to plan bid strategy and ascertaining methods of performance based on the scope of work.
- Prepare detailed estimates in accordance with the scope of work, performing quantity take-offs, determining manpower, equipment requirements, material items and subcontractors. Works closely with Contract Management, Project Controls, Project Management, Procurement, and others to acquire data and other inputs necessary for accurate and timely estimates.
- Performs and/or supervises development and preparation of cost estimates for the business line. Assists in obtaining firm quotes for material suppliers, equipment and subcontractors.
- Develops and maintains during the bidding stage a Bid Book of backup documentation per estimating procedures and work instructions. Prepares revisions to cost estimates if required by client.
- Coordinates with project management to review bid strategy and assists in project buy-out. Attends regular and emergent meetings and follows initiatives and or other directives as directed by the Senior Director of Estimating,
- This individual will be a qualified estimator with at least twenty (20) years of experience estimating (and managing the estimating) of all types of projects, predominately military.
- This person should be an excellent and positively-minded communicator and be proficient in the use of the MS Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.), especially MS Excel.
- They must also be proficient in the use of Timberline estimating software, as well as various databases (RS Means, etc.). This person must also be capable of performing takeoffs and estimates for all disciplines (civil, structural, mechanical, piping, electrical, instrumentation, etc.). Not only will this person need to have the technical abilities described, they must also have a firm grasp and understanding of principles associated with Accounting, Billing, Contract Administration, Government Compliance, Human Resources, Procurement, Project Controls, and Project Management.
- This person must be used to working within a matrix organization, and also be experienced in managing other estimators.
Job Type: Full-time
HKA Enterprises is a global workforce solutions firm. If you're seeking a new career opportunity or project experience, our recruiters will work to understand your qualifications, experience, and personal goals. At HKA, we recognize the importance of matching employee goals with those of the employer. We strive to seek credibility, satisfaction, and endorsement from all of our applicants. We invite you to take time and search for your next career experience with us! HKA is an EEO Employer who participates in the US Citizenship and Immigration Services E-Verify Program.